Wednesday, 23 November 2011

Au Naturale


This is me. 

No mouldable plastic in my eyes.
No makeup to cover what beauty is already there. 
This is me...au naturale....Bare.

Sometimes I don't see it straight away,
so I brush past it with a thin layer of perfection
manipulating my minds perceptions 
I feel better for a minute till I realise
a small alteration leads to what now seems like correction
to make that extra effort, is that considered deception?

Hair untouched. Carefree. No weave. 
I leave it out. Don't care. I'm free.
I've felt constrained by your society
So don't force on me
your companies policies. 

I've tried them all they never work
with tag lines politely telling me I need extra 'work'.
Lashes not long enough, not thick enough, not black enough?
How many more ways can you insult us?

I like my lips they don't need your 'plumping' lipgloss
I don't need to get the 'London look' 
I don't want to be Kate Moss. 

I aspire to be a strong woman of colour,
so I embrace the fact my hair has kinks
the fact I can never find the right colour match
because my heritage is mixed
is not what ranks top on my priorities list.

I will  be educated to the highest level
so I'm well prepared for the fight
and not just from books but from neighbourhoods
life lessons is my foundation tonight

I don't need lipstick
I'll walk without
because my lips stick to what they know
might get lippy on their own but
speak enough colour to entice you
that's luscious. that's attractive.
Lipstick could never do them justice. 

So before you start layering over what is already there
take the time to let yourself breathe in your own skin
you're so beautiful...au natural...bare. 


2 comments:

  1. It's so much easier for individuals to criticise their own looks and appearance only to buy the newest product to 'fix' what they perceive to be wrong. But on the other hand they find it so difficult to look deeper to see and accept their own beauty as you have done here.

    The more people see this the better, they'd definitely find you verbalising what they've always wanted to.
    In a word. Amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very true Age, we receive so much criticism on a daily basis not just from ourselves but from the mass media. Both young men and women are growing up in such a critical culture of 'perfection' being forced to be unlike themselves.And us "adults" don't even notice when it is happening because it's been so entrenched in our culture- we've become so used to it!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...