Monday, 30 January 2012

Schools Kill Creativity


"All children are born artists- the problem is to remain an artist as we grow up." - Picasso

"We don't grow into creativity we grow out of it. Rather we get educated out of it"- Sir Ken Robinson


I watched this a few years ago and I remember it striking a chord with me. Robinson gives a very real and witty account of his views on the education system and creative students. I'm not sure what made me come across it again recently but I thought I would share it with those who haven't watched.

I always wandered why isn't creativity valued as highly as academia? Yes, academia is important and useful but creativity is unbound, unhindered and sometimes entrepreneurial.  It can create and lead ideas where academia would systematically validate or control. Creative minds are different , think different, we act different and feel differently.

I was an academic and excessively creative child, teenager, adult. I was accepted to Richmond College to do a BTEC National Diploma in music technology(I could compose, perform I just wanted to learn how to produce), however they would not allow me to do English Literature alongside it. So I went with Stanmore College - who allowed me to study BTEC National Award in Music Technology, English language & Literature, Law, Psychology. I had to be able to explore my interests. I can never be restricted and told to choose one path, because I feel both strongly. So I do both, regardless of what I was told I "Should do" or "be" or what I "could be" or "do".

In academic subjects it just seemed you were reassessed and promoted. You were either in "bottom", "middle" or "top" class for English, Maths, Science and French. Although this "technique" claims to allow teachers to deal with the individual needs of the varying abilities of students- is it right to limit ones ability by labelling them. To know you have been subject to be positioned in "bottom" class does that necessarily mean you're slow or less bright? What does the label do for students self confidence maybe the label makes them act as if they should be in bottom class as they are told they are only bottom class worthy.

Creativity is embedded within me -  naturally, since I can remember and will always be there forever. I never neglect it. I breathe it. Whereas my thirst for knowledge and passion for positive change fuels my academic career choice in Criminology. I love what I do, what I learn and how I apply it. I can't be one without the other and one day I'll merge the two and create something two fold... But that's another story for another day.

How do you feel about the issues raised in the video? Do you agree or disagree? Should we be nurturing creativity in students better than the education system currently is? Talk to me

1 comment:

  1. I think the main reason it creativity is discouraged is because it goes hand in hand with disruption which people are afraid of. In technology look at how creativity channeled through the Internet has disrupted the world of communications, relationships, information, media and business.

    Fear of the unknown is the greatest restriction we face and the attempt to have creativity 'ironed out' of you as a child is criminal.

    The truly exceptional talents - who have been successful - in most cases have at least one person (not always the same throughout their life) who drove them to pursue their goal and fight back against the status quo. Unfortunately no everyone is so fortunate and as Sir Ken illustrates there are some cases where instead of embracing it we're all too quick to demonize it.

    Personally I feel that with the education problems we face in the UK that schools specialising creative arts should be offered as an alternative to 'standard' schooling from reception upwards.

    In these art schools the 'hierarchy' as Sir Ken points out would be flipped on it's head in order to even out the choice inequality and maintain a balance between those who excel in primarily in academia and expressionist art.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...