He says "take care" like it could mean something
and as I hung up the phone I contemplate
whether it did, or whether it can.
Am I too stuck in my ways to change tonight?
He says "take care of yourself" more than once.
I hear the repetition
I sense its importance -
yet am I too selfish to put his desires
before my own tonight?
before my own tonight?
He utters my name in the same sentence
making it personal now.
Specifically to my soul.
Do you think she will listen? I hope so.
I hope she hears your voice
and it carries reason which might
ground her flight into the unknown
tonight.
I've tried to tell her, take care of her,
she won't let me.
she won't let me.
The self destructive path she doesn't choose -
it finds her in the dark, seeping into her veins slowly.
So "take care" how can it mean something to someone
so careless, so reckless and yet determined
in her own skin tonight?
He asks about tomorrow but that's a distant hollow
a scary thought and an open wound
which might beckon more sorrow.
I mutter todays not over, a long night ahead
another battle to win over.
"I'll still be here"
but in what state will tomorrow meet me?
These words of reassurance roll out of my mouth -
yet not one part of my body meant it -
maybe I did, I guess I won't know
until I meet you over the phone again... tomorrow.
As someone who says 'take care' to a person I love, meaning 'I want to take care of you but you won't let me' this was very moving. Eddd
ReplyDelete