This month has felt like a bit of an emotional roller-coaster. I've been going through a few changes some for the better and some not through my own choice. I have been feeling indifferent and things in my life have come into focus so much clearer than I could see them before. As you know I traveled to Trinidad a few weeks back to visit my grandmother and to spend time with her. It was wonderful and intense at the same time... I was told just over a week ago that she had passed away and had been deteriorating ever since we left her. It's taken some time to come to terms with it and I'm doing much better now. It has made me reflect on how precious time is and not to take anything for granted. "Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today?". This saying really held more meaning for me recently as sometimes I put off things assuming my Grandma would be there next month or next year. I lived in hope but also in denial, thinking she would make it. I definitely have tried to see and spend more time with close friends and family especially as I am moving again soon.
The picture above I took whilst standing at the top of some hills in my town. There I watched the sunset distracted by good conversation. When there was a pause we couldn't help but glance around over and over again. Exhaling as the heavy weights we carried left us - watching the cars on the motorway drive by without knowledge we were even there. It was strange because my town is a concrete jungle filled with a battered grey ego and a lot of cracks in it's self esteem. Natural beauty is hard to come by. But this park they had built a few years back draws the locals in and somehow takes us miles away from our reality. A succession of man-made hills are dotted carefully within the park and have footpaths for you to climb your way to the top where a surprising view awaits you. I had been here a few times before, however this time I really saw it.
Once we got to the top it was still daylight, evening was creeping up and the sky was mostly an array of greys combusted together but scattered sparingly in special places was light- beaming through the clouds hollows. As the sunset casually, the light now turned to colours- a spectrum of hot red and pinks twisted with rich purples and welcoming oranges. It was breathtaking I could actually see what looked like artists brush strokes swirling the colours all together. The conversation was engaging yet I couldn't stop indulging in what was surrounding me. I looked out on all its glory and felt the lightest I have ever felt- I was above the concrete jungle below me, looking down on it. I was out of it.....
I shivered as the temperature dropped but I didn't want to leave my vantage point. With the minutes that passed a new formation of art would impress us in the sky. I had to laugh as it seemed surreal. I turned to my friend as I exhaled a heavy sigh "I really needed to come up here today."....We smiled and stayed till all the hot reds and pinks, rich purples and welcoming oranges slowly disappeared leaving us with a midnight blue canvas dotted with stars and a dilated moon. Noticing we were the only ones left- it seemed the fun was over. Although the streets lights from below borrowed me light I felt the show was over. I trotted down the winding footpath satisfied, relieved and smiling and although I was a ten minute drive from my house. I felt as though I had gone on a days excursion to a far away land.
©SimplySaarah
The picture above I took whilst standing at the top of some hills in my town. There I watched the sunset distracted by good conversation. When there was a pause we couldn't help but glance around over and over again. Exhaling as the heavy weights we carried left us - watching the cars on the motorway drive by without knowledge we were even there. It was strange because my town is a concrete jungle filled with a battered grey ego and a lot of cracks in it's self esteem. Natural beauty is hard to come by. But this park they had built a few years back draws the locals in and somehow takes us miles away from our reality. A succession of man-made hills are dotted carefully within the park and have footpaths for you to climb your way to the top where a surprising view awaits you. I had been here a few times before, however this time I really saw it.
Once we got to the top it was still daylight, evening was creeping up and the sky was mostly an array of greys combusted together but scattered sparingly in special places was light- beaming through the clouds hollows. As the sunset casually, the light now turned to colours- a spectrum of hot red and pinks twisted with rich purples and welcoming oranges. It was breathtaking I could actually see what looked like artists brush strokes swirling the colours all together. The conversation was engaging yet I couldn't stop indulging in what was surrounding me. I looked out on all its glory and felt the lightest I have ever felt- I was above the concrete jungle below me, looking down on it. I was out of it.....
I shivered as the temperature dropped but I didn't want to leave my vantage point. With the minutes that passed a new formation of art would impress us in the sky. I had to laugh as it seemed surreal. I turned to my friend as I exhaled a heavy sigh "I really needed to come up here today."....We smiled and stayed till all the hot reds and pinks, rich purples and welcoming oranges slowly disappeared leaving us with a midnight blue canvas dotted with stars and a dilated moon. Noticing we were the only ones left- it seemed the fun was over. Although the streets lights from below borrowed me light I felt the show was over. I trotted down the winding footpath satisfied, relieved and smiling and although I was a ten minute drive from my house. I felt as though I had gone on a days excursion to a far away land.
No comments:
Post a Comment