![]() |
8/8/2011
What we have all seen over the past three nights have brought about mixed reactions and feelings. All of us are in shock and as the Tottenham riots unfolded we got a sense that the Police did not have it under control. We thought the worst was over with the riots that took place on Saturday night in Tottenham but to our horror Sunday brought more London Boroughs following "copycat" behaviour.
What we have all seen over the past three nights have brought about mixed reactions and feelings. All of us are in shock and as the Tottenham riots unfolded we got a sense that the Police did not have it under control. We thought the worst was over with the riots that took place on Saturday night in Tottenham but to our horror Sunday brought more London Boroughs following "copycat" behaviour.
We never expected what had come to be our realities by the third consecutive night. Your local Borough was now/is now being targeted. Local shopping centres and buildings set on fire and raped of goods. Some just for fun with no intention of keeping the goods but destroyed and left on the street as a sign to say something. Others stocking up on things they may have felt they deserved. But not once did they think about the consequences of their actions. That being that many have lost their houses in the fires and sentimental belongings i.e a father lost photographs of his daughters as his flat above a shop burnt to ashes.
The Police have scattered themselves all over London but seemed to always be too late. Precautions have been put in place i.e closing down shopping centres etc, however for many cases as the looting took place the Police were yet to arrive. In Ealing a town close to me it was not just about looting and criminal damage, youths began breaking into peoples homes...when the Police were called, they did not arrive and were told they had been put on a priority list? They waited as Police diffused bigger situations. i.e fires and looting in Camden and Clapham Junction.
In all my years of living here I have never seen anything like this...I dread what the news will bring tomorrow. #PrayforLondon
9/8/2011
As I switched on the TV this morning, I was yet again bombarded by repeat images and videos recalling the events of last night which lasted for most of the day. Finally pictures and videos of "Ealing" were revealed to me and it was disturbing to see what I knew as my local town, was now a distorted picture. When daylight hits there is a sense of safety and exposure but once it gets dark you automatically can't help but feel unsure whether to venture out again. I took a trip to my local grocery shop early afternoon and everything seemed pretty normal until I went to put my trolley away and the man collecting them told me to "stay home today we're told they may be coming here tonight." He was collecting trolleys to put back within the store instead of leaving them in the car park.
As I drove home around 2.30pm I saw my local shops/hairdressers/butchers/post office pretty much all shops closing and locking up their shutters which was a strange site to see at this time. My immediate area consists of mainly houses and estates and little trade so I can only imagine how the closure of these shops will effect peoples daily lives if for much longer. I did have plans to see my friend this evening which I cancelled because too many of my family and friends were concerned about me leaving the house in the evening and driving alone.
I have been watching the news intently, waiting to hear about how well the 16,000 police officers were getting on in London...but surprisingly the news coverage this evening has been strictly dominated by coverage of north England (Manchester). I can't seem to find any information of what is actually going on out there in London town this evening/early morning. I can hear helicopters close by and police sirens but that is all I know. It is a little bemusing as to why the coverage has dropped down to nothing on London. All I know from friends is areas are dead with the early closure of shops and filled with a strong police presence. It seems everyone I know is inside as there is nowhere to go and nothing to do and on some level feel confined to their house for safety.
We were told that the police may be bringing in tougher measures like "water canons" and "plastic bullets" to control the disorder but we have seen no live coverage... There is a horrible feeling in the air over the past 3 days, something that is hard to shift. I personally feel as though London is falling apart, communities are breaking and public order has dissipated- leaving us with an unpredictable future. #WhatsGoingOnOutThere???
10/08/2011
In all my years of living here I have never seen anything like this...I dread what the news will bring tomorrow. #PrayforLondon
9/8/2011
As I switched on the TV this morning, I was yet again bombarded by repeat images and videos recalling the events of last night which lasted for most of the day. Finally pictures and videos of "Ealing" were revealed to me and it was disturbing to see what I knew as my local town, was now a distorted picture. When daylight hits there is a sense of safety and exposure but once it gets dark you automatically can't help but feel unsure whether to venture out again. I took a trip to my local grocery shop early afternoon and everything seemed pretty normal until I went to put my trolley away and the man collecting them told me to "stay home today we're told they may be coming here tonight." He was collecting trolleys to put back within the store instead of leaving them in the car park.
As I drove home around 2.30pm I saw my local shops/hairdressers/butchers/post office pretty much all shops closing and locking up their shutters which was a strange site to see at this time. My immediate area consists of mainly houses and estates and little trade so I can only imagine how the closure of these shops will effect peoples daily lives if for much longer. I did have plans to see my friend this evening which I cancelled because too many of my family and friends were concerned about me leaving the house in the evening and driving alone.
I have been watching the news intently, waiting to hear about how well the 16,000 police officers were getting on in London...but surprisingly the news coverage this evening has been strictly dominated by coverage of north England (Manchester). I can't seem to find any information of what is actually going on out there in London town this evening/early morning. I can hear helicopters close by and police sirens but that is all I know. It is a little bemusing as to why the coverage has dropped down to nothing on London. All I know from friends is areas are dead with the early closure of shops and filled with a strong police presence. It seems everyone I know is inside as there is nowhere to go and nothing to do and on some level feel confined to their house for safety.
We were told that the police may be bringing in tougher measures like "water canons" and "plastic bullets" to control the disorder but we have seen no live coverage... There is a horrible feeling in the air over the past 3 days, something that is hard to shift. I personally feel as though London is falling apart, communities are breaking and public order has dissipated- leaving us with an unpredictable future. #WhatsGoingOnOutThere???
10/08/2011
Today was very weird. I went about my normal business visiting my local areas to run errands I needed doing, with the anticipation shops and the bank would close early again. Surprisingly my surrounding areas were exactly the same. No signs of riots or destruction, however there was a clear sense of "lonely roads". It was clear less people were venturing out. The news coverage remained vague except when it came to riots in Manchester and Birmingham. It was reported that 3 young Asian boys were killed in Birmingham protecting their neighborhood following a hit and run- the police believe it was murder. The Police urge the town to remain calm as they don't want more violence to be be sparked. It was emotional to see one of the boys fathers speaking about his loss. The same word kept propping up...'why?'. I suppose he will never get any answers.
News of the riots seemed to cross over with the economy and in some cases made direct correlations between the two and there is speculation of how the current events will effect visitors decisions to come to London for the Olympics and whether London town will be safe. I believe it will be. It's not like the capability of this was non existent before it is just the pot had been bubbling to the brim.
My friends and I have exchanged words and opinions on the current events in London. I heard stories that I had missed from others, which were appalling to say the least. I have tried not to watch the news too much today as a lot of it is repeated. I say today has been 'weird' because from what I had been seeing on the TV compared to what I actually saw in my local area was so different I didn't know where reality should fall.
We currently have Courts in London staying open 24hours to deal with all the cases regarding the 800 odd arrests made following the riots. Never have I seen the Courts work this hard.
It seems the air is calm and to go about your business during the day is most normal. However I highly doubt you would be able to get around the town after a certain time and you would be questioned about your whereabouts if wandering around at night.
#R.I.P.ThoseWeLostToTheLondonRiots






No comments:
Post a Comment