I was in my room today and was doing some therapeutic painting...The paintbrush in my hand instantly took me back to a song I recall from my younger years by Jewel called "Painters". The song was a deep and moving one. The thing I remember about Jewel is that she was an inspiration for me growing up. Her songs were original, her lyrics weird yet deeply honest and beautiful and her voice was timid but soulful. Her songs were something else. So simple yet layered with emotion and depth. I always remember listening to her album "Pieces of you" and it taking me to another place, taking me on a melancholy and metaphysical journey.
I learned later of her background story of how for a time, she was poverty-stricken and lived in her van while traveling around the country doing street performances and small gigs. She was trained in operative voice in school and used to busk with her father - where she learned to yodel. (you can hear some of this in her singing).
Some of my favourite songs of hers I've linked to you tube below for you to hear. It will take you on journeys. I can't say it will inspire you the same way it did for me in the late 90's early 00's as music has drastically changed (I won't go into that LONG story of the quality of music nowadays, I'll save it for another day!). But I hope you can backtrack in time and appreciate its value as much as I did. (FYI some of these are not the original versions found on the "Pieces of you" album, if you want authenticity purchase the album its probably cheap as chips online or second hand.) Every song on the album tells its own story and is unique. So make sure to check it out, you may like others not listed here.
Let me know what you think or what your favorite songs of hers are...
Some of my favourite songs of hers I've linked to you tube below for you to hear. It will take you on journeys. I can't say it will inspire you the same way it did for me in the late 90's early 00's as music has drastically changed (I won't go into that LONG story of the quality of music nowadays, I'll save it for another day!). But I hope you can backtrack in time and appreciate its value as much as I did. (FYI some of these are not the original versions found on the "Pieces of you" album, if you want authenticity purchase the album its probably cheap as chips online or second hand.) Every song on the album tells its own story and is unique. So make sure to check it out, you may like others not listed here.
Let me know what you think or what your favorite songs of hers are...
1) "Foolish games"
2) "Hands"
3) "Pieces of you"
4) "Who will save your soul?"
5) "You were meant for me"
6) "I'm sensitive"
7) "Little sister"
No comments:
Post a Comment